Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Home » News » Jack’s Cabin house fire linked to leaky propane fixtures

Jack’s Cabin house fire linked to leaky propane fixtures

Structure a complete loss

The Gunnison and Crested Butte fire departments responded to a structure blaze Tuesday night at Jack’s Cabin cutoff that was possibly caused by a propane leak. According to City of Gunnison Fire Marshal Dennis Spritzer, fire personnel arrived at the 621 County Road 813 residence at 5:30 p.m. and it was already engulfed in flames.

 

 

 

“It was a surround and drown situation,” said Spritzer. According to Spritzer, fire crews from both departments doused the flames from the exterior on all sides, but he said ultimately the 1,200 to 1,400 square foot structure was destroyed.
“(Fire fighters) did what they could, but it was a total loss,” Spritzer said.
While the origin of the fire is still under investigation, Spritzer said a faulty propane connection may be the culprit. “It sounds like a possible propane leak and a minor explosion,” he said.
Spritzer said an ambulance was called, and at least one resident was transported to the hospital with minor injuries. The house, owned by area resident Nick Lypps, was being rented at the time.
Fire crews extinguished the blaze by 9:30 p.m., Spritzer said.
The Crested Butte Company Inc. is seeking support for the two residents of the home. According to the company, Will Gleockler is employed and part owner of Crested Butte Company Inc. Alina Gleockler is employed with Crested Butte Lodging & Property Management Company. The company says the two individuals “lost everything in the explosion.”
Contributions to help the family can be made to Will and Alina Gleockler Fund: Crested Butte Company, Attn: Penny Norman, PO Box 1264, Crested Butte, CO 81224.

Check Also

New affordable housing units reduced in Pitchfork project

Reduced to four units, two of which will be for sale by Katherine Nettles The …