Here are two letters from the town of Crested Butte concerning the proposed Irwin Backcountry Guides snowcat ski proposal.
May 20, 2009
Irwin Backcountry Guides, LLC
P.O. Box XXX
Crested Butte, CO 81224
RE: Irwin Backcountry Guides Proposal
Dear Mr. Bernholtz:
The Crested Butte Town Council accepted comments from the public related to Irwin Backcountry Guides (IBG) application for a special use permit with the United States Forest Service (USFS) on May 18th. Several Irwin residents and landowners presented questions and concerns related to this proposal. Your representative Missy Ochs was able to answer some of the questions but was unable to answer all of their questions.
Several of these comments referred to the lack of information and outreach by your company related to this proposal. The Town Council requests that a representative from your company conduct a public information meeting to present your proposal, answer the attendee’s questions and complete a follow-up response to those questions Ms. Ochs was unable to answer at the May 18th meeting. The Town Council also requests that your forward those responses to the USFS.
In addition, the Crested Butte Town Council also requires that IBG adhere to all the stipulations included in the Town’s Watershed Ordinance as it applies to this project.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at 970-349-5338.
Susan R. Parker
CC: Crested Butte Town Council
Rodney Due, Public Works Director
Bill Jackson, USFS, Project Manager
May 20, 2009
216 N. Colorado Street
Gunnison, CO 81230
RE: Irwin Backcountry Guides
Dear Mr. Jackson:
The Crested Butte Town Council accepted public comments on May 18th related to the Irwin Backcountry Guides proposal. After listening to several Irwin residents and landowners, the Crested Butte Town Council submits the following comments related to this project.
1. Designate an additional comment period to allow residents who have not yet returned for the summer to have sufficient time to review and comment on this proposal.
2. Ensure that this proposal does not unfairly compete with the existing local permitted guides.
3. Include a requirement that the applicants shall adhere to the Town of Crested Butte’s Watershed Ordinance as part of the USFS permit.
4. Provide additional opportunities for the affected residents and landowners to comment on this proposal in a public forum and obtain the answers to the questions raised at the May 18th meeting.
5. Minimize the tree cutting around the lake to ensure existing views and protect water quality.
The Town Council also directed the Irwin residents and landowners who attended the meeting to contact the United States Forest Service with their concerns and questions. We appreciate all the time and effort the United States Forest Service engages in listening to the community and looks forward to working with you in the future.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Mayor Pro Tem