Parcel mix-up leads Marshals to arrest man on drug charge

38-year-old resident charged with felony

A 38-year-old Crested Butte resident was arrested by the Crested Butte Marshals last week on suspicion of intent to distribute cocaine.



According to a September 23 press release from the marshal’s office, David Bryson is facing a charge of possession with intent to distribute cocaine, a class three felony that has a presumptive punishment range set by the legislature of four to 12 years in prison and a heavy fine.  Bryson also faces misdemeanor charges of possession of less than an ounce of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.  
The release further states Bryson is set to appear in Gunnison County Court on October 7 at 9 a.m.
An affidavit for the arrest, sworn by deputy Mike Reily, filed in court on September 18 provides further information.
According to the affidavit, at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 18, “the Marshal’s Office received information that a package from United Parcel Service (UPS) addressed to David Bryson… was delivered to the wrong address.  The person receiving the package opened the manila envelope without checking who it was addressed to and found it contained a bag with a white powdered substance.”
The envelope was delivered to the marshal’s office, and the plastic bag inside was determined to contain 55 grams (about two ounces) of cocaine.
Chief marshal Tom Martin says cocaine currently has a street value of about $80 per gram in the area.  
Based on this and related information, the affidavit states a search warrant for the address on the envelope was issued to the marshals.  When the marshals initiated their search of the premises Bryson was not present, but returned to his residence during the investigation.   
“Cocaine, a tray consistent with the preparation for packaging cocaine, electronic scales, small plastic Ziploc baggies typically used for cocaine sales, cash, marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia were found in the residence,” the affidavit states.
Bryson declined to speak to the marshals without his attorney present, and was taken into custody at 7:50 p.m. that evening.
Martin reported to the Denver Post on Tuesday, September 23 that the person who sent the package, who was not identified, is part of an ongoing investigation into the matter.

Check Also

Kebler Pass Road a no-go for this weekend

Cottonwood, Gothic will open Friday By Katherine Nettles Despite its best efforts, Gunnison County Public Works …