Schools adopt bell to bell cell phone ban

Helping students develop a healthy relationship with technology

[ By Kendra Walker ]

The Gunnison Watershed School District board has taken a significant step toward prioritizing students’ academic success and well-being with an update to its student cell phone policy. During their May 18 meeting, the school board adopted a policy that bans pre-K through 12 student cell phone use on school property during the entire instructional day.
While on school property and during the entire instructional day (bell to bell), students in all grades must keep their personal devices silenced and out of sight in a locker, backpack, car or similar storage container. Students must not store devices in clothing, pockets or otherwise on their person.
Under the district’s previous policy, elementary and middle school students were not allowed to use personal electronic devices on school premises during the designated school day, and high school students were not allowed to use cell phones during instructional time but could have them out between classes and at lunch.
“The Board of Education believes that our schools have a role in helping students develop a healthy relationship with technology while ensuring they can focus on learning during school hours,” reads the policy.
“Research consistently shows that when students have access to their personal devices during instructional time, it can significantly inhibit their ability to engage deeply with lessons, collaborate effectively with peers and develop the sustained attention skills essential for academic success.”
It continues, “While technology is a powerful learning tool—using Chromebooks for interactive lessons, research projects, educational apps that deepen understanding and demonstrations of learning, for example—personal device usage often involves social media, games and messaging that can fragment a student’s attention and disrupt the learning environment for everyone.”
There are a few exceptions when a personal device is allowed, such as with assistive educational technology in a student’s learning plan or in emergency situations involving a threat to the health or safety of students or staff. There are also phones in school offices available for students to make phone calls during school hours. “Students may be given permission to use a personal device to communicate while supervised in their school’s office,” it reads.
Superintendent Leslie Nichols said the policy establishes clear expectations for kids, and she recognized that the district may experience some growing pains. “We know our first year is going to be bumpy no matter what with potential unintended consequences that we haven’t heard of yet. That will be a little bit of a hurdle. But hearing our teachers’ experiences and being responsive with solutions is so important and I know our administrators are ready to do that. So far, I haven’t heard a concern that doesn’t have a solution that we can find without cell phones.”
Board president Anne Brookhart agreed. “It may be hard to implement at first. I also don’t think we’re afraid to come back and revise the policy again if there are things that are not working.”
The board has plans to continue conversations around technology in the schools, teaching students digital literacy and how to create healthy boundaries. Board member Katya Schloesser noted the hurdles that teachers have brought up over website blocking on the school-issued Chromebooks. “There’s been more pushback on being able to access websites for research and YouTube videos,” she said.
“Our platform GoGuardian helps monitor and filter our internet. We’ve heard loud and clear we need more training for teachers on that,” said Nichols. “We’re continuing to explore where we’ve locked websites too hard. It is a work in progress, but there are solutions to that. We need to provide the tools so they can stay safe on the internet. We’re totally committed to making the solutions happen so teachers don’t have that incredible frustration.”
During public comment, Josh Eberly voiced strong support for the K-12 cell phone ban. “Today many kids are growing up in a completely different environment – one built around constant notifications, scrolling, distraction and digital stimulation. I think we’re seeing the consequences of that in our schools in student attention spans, mental health, social health and academic performance.” Regarding the policy, “I believe it only works if the phones are truly put away in lock pouches or lock boxes, not sitting in backpacks or pockets buzzing every few minutes.”
He concluded, “As parents and adults I think we have to be willing to set boundaries too, even when it’s uncomfortable. This is not about punishment, it’s about giving kids a better environment to learn, grow, communicate and simply be kids again. We have a responsibility to fight for their future and I believe this is one meaningful step in the right direction.”
The board unanimously voted to adopt the policy, with board member Mark Vanderveer absent from the meeting.
“This is a huge step for this district to put this policy in action,” said board member Jody Coleman. She expressed appreciation for the help and research they received from technology integration specialist Katie Gallagher, and all the feedback the board received from teachers and parents. “The response from community members and parents was so positive in the action we want to take.”
“Everybody is taking a really hard look at digital resources and best practices, and there’s going to be more change to come,” said board member Jennie Reithel. “It’s going to be hard to stay on top of it, but I appreciate that our district is looking at potentially revising the way we do things.”

Check Also

CB South cell tower erection expected to begin in July

Citizen concerns brought up at fire district meeting [ By Mark Reaman ] The proposed …